Are you using an ordinary TV and wish to have a smart TV, but can’t afford it. Then Google Chromecast is the best solution. Google Chromecast is a magical device that assists in converting an ordinary TV into a smart TV. Google has upgraded this device and made available three different versions in the market for the convenience of the users. Sometimes the errors such as Chromecast source not supported appear. But this can be easily repaired and resolved.
What is Chromecast
Innumerable streaming services and devices are available in the market. The usage and popularity of such devices have increased considerably in the past few years as the content on the website is rapidly increasing. With the devices such as Chromecast and Firestick, it is very simple to connect the computer or the smartphone to the bigger screen of the television and watch all the favorite streaming shows from the web. These streaming devices are available at highly affordable rates in the market.
The up-gradation of Chromecast has added many innovative features to it. In fact, streaming from the Google Chrome browser is also possible using this device.
The error of Chromecast source not supported
There is a number of reasons why Chromecast does not support the source, The reasons can be summarized as follows:
- There may be a bug in the application that is being used.
- The bandwidth of the internet connection may be disturbing.
- Sometimes even the settings of the Wifi network, router, or mobile device act absurd.
- The device used may be outdated.
- Some options such as mirroring are disabled in the chrome browser.
Methods and ways to fix the error
Chromecast source not supported, this error is very common and the solutions to resolve this error are also very simple and easy:
1. Wifi Network
For every device that is connected to the router, a specific network is created within the environment. Chromecast device normally performs on the home WiFi network. Therefore whenever there is an error, always check the simple problems at home such as whether there is any problem on the network in WiFi.
Now to check if the WiFi network is performing properly, you can simply play a video on YouTube or browse through any website on the other devices connected to the network. It can be mobile or even your computer, or laptop. If the task on other devices plays effectively without any interruption, then that implies there is no internet network issue.
So there should not be any problem on the Chromecast device as well due to the internet.
2. Chromecast device and the mirroring device
Another simple solution for the Chromecast source not supported error that can be resolved at home itself is that be sure that the same network is used for connection for both the Chromecast device and the mirroring device. The name of the WiFi device to which the Chromecast device is connected gets displayed on the device. It should be ensured that the smartphone or the tablet or any other device and the Chromecast device both use the same WiFi network. If they use different networks for internet connection, then Chromecast source not supported error gets active. When you see that there are two different networks on each of the devices, then try switching the network of one of the devices. This may resolve the issue if there is no other problem.
3. Cache Memory of the Application
It has been observed that this error occurs specifically in some of the applications. This is mostly seen in Android devices. For using Chromecast in such Android Applications, it may be sometimes become vital to clear the cache of the specific app. The cache memory may be a hurdle in the effective performance of the Chromecast device.
For example, it may happen that while watching a video on YouTube, the Chromecast error appears on the screen. The reason may be due to lots of cache memory in the YouTube app. So you may want to clear the cache to ensure the same.
Clearing cache is very simple with the following steps:
- Just go through the folder of the Applications and select Settings options.
- In the Settings menu, select the options menu of Applications.
- Once you click on the Applications menu, it shows many other options from which you select manage Apps.
- Select the YouTube app, from the list of applications.
- Select the storage option.
- There are cache and User data options below the storage option.
- Click on the clear data and the cache memory is emptied.
- After this restart the device.
If the Chromecast error is for the specific application, then this method should resolve the issue.
4. Mirroring Service on Chrome Browser
Many times the user cast Chrome Browser or mirror the same. But while doing so ensure that the Mirroring Service option is enabled on the Chrome Browser.
This can be ensured by the following steps:
- Browse through the Google Chrome Browser. Enter chrome://flags in the search bar to search for the flags.
- As soon as you press enter button, a list of all the available flags on the chrome browser is displayed.
- Then search for the Mirroring option manually. This can be also done by searching through the Control + F option and typing Mirroring. But this can be done through the search bar. The mirroring option is displayed on the window.
- On the drop-down menu click Enable. The window can be closed after this. Also, don’t forget to enable “Allow all sites to initiate mirroring options”.
These steps should clear the Chromecast not supported error. It is recommended that restart the Chrome Browser and recast the same.
5. Restart each device
Restart all the devices one by one. This is one more option to be tried to resolve the Chromecast source not supported error. This involves all the devices including computer, mobile, WiFi router, Television, etc. Every device through which the Chromecast is cast or mirror should be restarted one by one.
- Switch off the television and the Chromecast that is connected unplug that also. Ensure that the cord and the device are also unplugged.
- Turn off the WiFi router. Turn the main switch off the WiFi router off and let it be off for a couple of minutes. Be sure that you don’t plug in the Chromecast device right now.
- Turn the WiFi router on after some time is passed.
- After this process switch off the smartphone or the computer through which the mirroring is done. Restart it again.
- After the devices are restarted, then connect them to the WiFi network.
- Now you can connect the Chromecast device to the television with the help of the cable. Now you have to manually set up the Chromecast device. But be sure that you get connected to the same WiFi network.
These are the simple way to set up and resolve the Chromecast source not supported error on the mobile phone or the computer screen.
6. Disable Ad Blocker and VPN service
Chromecast users normally use VPN services to stream geographically restricted content on streaming services. When we watch any kind of video on the computer screen or the smartphone, we use Adblocker extension to block unnecessary and unwanted advertisements and videos.
This is one more way to resolve the Chromecast error by disabling the VPN services and the AdBlocker extension. The steps to do so are as follows:
- Browse through Google Chrome. On the upper right corner click on the home icon or the three-dot icon. A menu option of the chrome browser gets displayed.
- Select the more tools option from the drop-down list.
- Under the More tools options click on Extensions. This will display all the extensions list that is installed on the chrome browser.
- Find the Adblocker extension in the list. By clicking on the toggle button you can disable the same.
- There are also options of removing or uninstalling the extensions.
- The extension is disabled. However, if the need arises, you can also re-enable the same.
- In the same way, the VPN service can be turned off from the system.
Now when you recast the Chromecast device you would find that the error is gone.
7. Updating Chrome Browser
Chromecast source not supported error may also occur when the chrome browser is of some older version. It should be noted that whenever you use Google Chromecast device or Google Chrome Browser, the same should be always kept updated and the latest versions should be installed. The settings can also be changed for the device to be automatically upgraded on WiFi network. But if the auto-update option is a manual one, then check the settings if the Chrome browser is updated to the latest version.
To update the Chromecast browser manually the steps mentioned below can be followed:
- Browse through the Google Chrome Browser. Click on the three dots on the upper right corner of the page or click on the home page.
- From the drop-down list click on the help option.
- Select the About Google Chrome option from the same.
- When you click on the About Google Chrome option, the system automatically starts searching for the new update.
- If there is a new update available, then Google will prompt you for the latest update. Click on the update button, and get the browser updated.
- The Google Chrome Browser will get updated in few seconds.
- Once that is done click on the relaunch button.
- After all the processes are completed, reboot the browser and recast the Chromecast device.
The Chromecast error should be resolved by now. But if none of the above methods works then, the only option left is to reset the Chromecast device.
8. Factory Reset
When none of the methods works, the last option that is left is to factory reset the Chromecast device. It is observed that for most of the devices none of the methods works then resetting always works for the solution.
While resetting the Chromecast device do not unplug it from the Television. Hold the reset button after pressing it for approximately 25 seconds. With this, the indication link will start blinking, and simultaneously the television would go blank.
A set of instructions would be displayed. Just follow these instructions to reset the Chromecast device.
Why does my Chromecast say source not supported?
There are several reasons due to which the error of Chromecast source not supported occurs. The user has to be assured of many things such as the same network for the devices connected, updated versions of the Chrome browser, etc to be used are in a proper place. Finding the reason for the error may help in resolving the issue.
Are all television compatible with Chromecast?
The Chromecast devices require a specific kind of configuration for the television to be connected. This includes a TV with high bandwidth Digital Content Protection 1.3 or even one with built-in HDCP 2.2 that supports 4K content can help. The latest versions of the television would normally have one port that would support HDCP 2.2.
How do I know if my Television supports Chromecast?
Every device with an HDMI port is compatible with stream content through Chromecast. So even if the device or Television is of an older version, just confirm if it has a narrow port with HDMI named on it.
Is Amazon Prime Chromecast compatible?
If you wish to stream Prime video through Google Chromecast, the requirement is that the Prime Video app for Android or iOS should be of the most recent version. Select the cast icon from the Prime Video app and then connect the Chromecast device to it. Only be sure that the device to be connected and the Chromecast should be on the same WiFi network.
Conclusion: Solving Chromecast Source not supported
There are several reasons due to which the Chromecast source is not supported error occurs. However, the issues due to which this error occurs may be very simple and can be resolved very easily following some simple steps. Fix the errors and stream the favorite contents from any of the devices, smartphones, computers to the big screen through the Chromecast devices.